Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
flash flash is offline

Default cutting cast iron

"David Lesher" wrote in message

So a friend's Levittown house has a 3" dia. drain in the utility room.

Alas, it's less than useful as the cast iron bell sticks up ~2"
above the floor. So when his waterheater split, his house flooded.

We're looking to cut it off flush so things WILL drain into it,
and installing a drain cover.

What's the best approach to cutting it? An air driven saw with fine
pitch blades, Sylar's finger, a grinder, Goldfinger's Laser....?

ps: We don't know if it's a dry well drain, or goes into the sewer;
but when we pour water down, it does go away... The dehumidifier
drains into it.

--

If it is cast iron, just take the angle-grinder, score a line around it, and
break it off with a hammer. These pipe were (originally) cut with a cold

Youngsters !

Us old pharts may not be able to work rings around you young puppies
anymore, but we hold a lot of historical information in the "wetware" that
may make your jobs easier.......

Flash