Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Newbie Lathe/Mill Question

Shabtai Evan wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
I'm looking into purchasing a small combo lathe/mill. I could buy
one of each, but I don't have much room in my shop and, unless
there's good reasons to avoid the combo units, that's the way I'd
like to go. Questions:

1) Where is a good place (on line) to search for reviews of various
brands?

2) What do people here think of the stuff Grizzly sells? I'm asking
about this distributor because their warehouse/retail outlet is
nearby and I can go in and look at the good in real life before
buying. 3) Opinions on combo units vs separate lathe and mill.

I'm interested in building some small robotics projects, telescope
clock drives and other miscellaneous mechanical/optical devices and
other similar things.

I too have limited room . If you organize your space , you can get
a minimill and a small lathe in a 6X8 closet ... and you'll be much
happier with separate machines . www.wttool.com has a combo deal
around a thousand bucks ... Sieg X2 minimill and a 7X? lathe .
Would probably be perfect for small robotics stuff .
I have a Logan 10X30 lathe and an RF45 clone mill/drill in an 8X12
shed - along with a LOT of other tools/parts/etc . I'm glad I held
off until I could get the mill , a multi-unit would not do even the
basic stuff I'm doing well . The word to remember is *rigidity* .

you have a 10x30 and an RF45 in a 8x12!!! I'm trying to organize a
RF30 and a 12x36 in half a garage and am going nuts. no room for
tools, supplies, etc. what's your secret.

Shelving units and shelves and/or cabinets on the walls . Undercounter
storage - two welders and extra bottle storage under the wood slab that
holds my portaband/vertical adapter and small drill press (plus a box of
"stuff") . You might actually have less wall linear footage than I do , and
that can really make a difference .
I have two shelves above the one 36" base cabinet , eye level one holds a
buncha small stuff and my laptop . Upper shelf has the 5.1 sound system ...
I'm getting ready to add another 8 feet of width , but only roof and two
walls . Then I'll have a place out of the rain to work on bikes , set up my
foundry , etc.
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"