Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Do Planning Departments Act on Anonymous Info

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:02:08 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
We have a neighbour nearby who has just had extensions done to his
property. All the building works are in accordance with plans submitted
etc. But he has also put a ghastly orange shed up next to the new
building works - the front doors to the shed are level with the general
building line. This certainly detracts from the "street scene". Do
planners investigate anonymous complaints so I can avoid personal
involvement?

Do sheds come under planning?

Most don't but in principle the planners could take action if the structure
was held to be detrimental to the surrounding area - s.215 Town and Country
Planning Act 1990, Land Adversely Affecting Amenity of Neighbourhood. Our
LPA tried to use it when someone painted their house shocking pink, but
backed down when I suggested that if they were so keen on using these
provisions they might serve a notice on the owner of the derelict
Twickenham riverside site (said owner being the Council!).

See http://hippogfx.com/tcpss/papers/pdfs/2001PP02.htm

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram Software 'Software to build on' www.superbeam.co.uk