Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Typical Household Electricity Usage ?

In article ,
writes:
On Oct 21, 6:24*pm, wrote:
I have just received an electric bill that suggests my daily usage kWh
(over 100 days) is 37 kWh a day ?
(British Gas)

Update.
Some of it is "catch up" from estimates- I have two meter readings
between Jan 08 and Oct 08 that now corresponds to 20 kWh a day.
This still seems very high. - if I assume:
Washing-machine-dryer/dishwasher are both on once a day - 3 kWh

Dishwasher is negligable.
Washing machine is negligable unless perhaps you do lots of high
temperature washes.
I would expect a tumble drier is quite significant if used often
(I've never had one or felt the need for one, although I did build
myself a drying cupboard using a dehumidifier about 9 years ago,
which I imagine is likely to be significantly more efficient, and
I have a number of uses for the condensate it collects).

Computers (x2) - 0.5 kWh x 24 - 12 kWh

That would be a very high reading for two computers.
Make sure their screen savers are just set to blank screen,
not so much for the sake of the monitors, but so they aren't
chewing up loads of CPU running some fancy graphics, which
bumps up the power consumption.

Gadgets on standby 0.1 kWh x 24 - 2.4 kWh
(lots of IT stuff, 2 X TV, wifes "toys")

Anything recent will be =1W on standby (except set-top boxes).
A very old TV might be 8W on standby.

--
Andrew Gabriel