Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill[_2_] Chris Hill[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone know if the HD tv signal will be stronger?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:09:50 -0500, dpb wrote:

metspitzer wrote:
I have cable, and don't think I could live without it, but my aunt is
using an antenna.

She just dropped cable, and asked me to hook her antenna back up. She
is only getting 2 channels. There is one more channel that can barely
be seen.

What would be the chances she could get another channel after the
switch?

I just made the initial experiment -- we're on antenna w/ the three
networks plus PBS watchable w/ some snow. The digital was zilch, nada,
nothing from any of the three. What I know for sure is the closest (60
miles) is broadcasting two subchannels according to them; I'm not sure
of the others yet. What comparative broadcast strength is I also have
no data for, but it appears unless they boost their output or I do major
antenna or other upgrades we'll likely just be without. I've contacted
Engineering of the one station but no response, at least so far.

I talked to one of the stations when I was having trouble, and they
said that my twin lead might be the trouble. I tried going with a
coax cable, which din't help, but orienting the antenna better got the
job done. I'm just glad I didn't have to fish a coax down an outside
wall. If you haven't done it yet, try adjusting antenna direction or
using coax.