Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Newbie Lathe/Mill Question

"The word to remember is *rigidity*"

This is perhaps the most important factor to consider when looking at the
3in1 combo machines with the large swings (and also behind closed doors, but
that's your business).

Where a large work envelope is present under the mill spindle/head, the
space needs to be filled up with something solid to work on small parts, and
that puts the workpiece farther away from the machine bed.. which sacrifices
rigidity.

When rigidity is compromised, the effect is similar to a flail-like cutting
tool.. some chips will be generated, but almost any expectation of accuracy
is lost.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

For searching the rec.crafts.metalworking archived posts, enter the group
name, select the starting date depending upon how far back you want to
search, and a subject (3in1, combo lathe mill, Grizzly and the model/stock
number, as examples).

Accuracy suffers further when tool changes are required, and the mill column
is round. It is more complicated to relocate hole centers or other features
on a round column mill.

Expectations are another key aspect. If they aren't unreasonable, many good
parts can be attained with a 3in1 machine, but just not immediately.

There are several other shortfalls related to the 3in1 machines, but all/or
nearly every comment that I've seen regarding customer service from Grizzly
have been positive, if that's the route you choose.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
. ..
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
I'm looking into purchasing a small combo lathe/mill. I could buy one
of each, but I don't have much room in my shop and, unless there's
good reasons to avoid the combo units, that's the way I'd like to go.

Questions:

1) Where is a good place (on line) to search for reviews of various
brands?

2) What do people here think of the stuff Grizzly sells? I'm asking
about this distributor because their warehouse/retail outlet is nearby
and I can go in and look at the good in real life before buying.

3) Opinions on combo units vs separate lathe and mill.

I'm interested in building some small robotics projects, telescope
clock drives and other miscellaneous mechanical/optical devices and
other similar things.

I too have limited room . If you organize your space , you can get a
minimill and a small lathe in a 6X8 closet ... and you'll be much happier
with separate machines . www.wttool.com has a combo deal around a thousand
bucks ... Sieg X2 minimill and a 7X? lathe . Would probably be perfect
for small robotics stuff .
I have a Logan 10X30 lathe and an RF45 clone mill/drill in an 8X12 shed -
along with a LOT of other tools/parts/etc . I'm glad I held off until I
could get the mill , a multi-unit would not do even the basic stuff I'm
doing well . The word to remember is *rigidity* .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"