Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Stereo help needed - NAD receiver

Arfa Daily wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
Pauli G wrote in message
I dug out an old NAD reciever along with Advent Prodigy mini-tower
speakers from the mess in the basement. I hooked this forgotten gem
up to have some music in my workshop, but for some reason I'm getting
nothing out of the speakers. When I touch the metal half-loops
("pre-out/main in" on the back of the receiver) I do get a low-tone
growl
out of the speakers, but that's it. I do get AM/FM reception in the
basement becuase the reciever is locking on to stations. Just
wondering if the reciever is fried because it's been sitting un-used
for a good 12 years until I plugged it in yesterday.

I found a photo/description of the NAD model that I'm trying to fix.
I think this is exactly like mine, and it shows a photo of the loops
that I touch to give the growling sound:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/877154732.html

monitor switch setting ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

First place I'd be looking also. Tape monitor / direct switch, or speaker
select switches, or if none of these, work a jack in and out of the
headphone socket a few times, just in case there is any switch attached,
which has developed oxidised contacts from it standing unused.

Arfa

Good advice...and while the OP is exercising the headphone jack, it
would be good to check for signal there as well. Use, uh, say
headphones.... g

jak