Posted to alt.home.repair
mrfixit341 mrfixit341 is offline

Default Attic heat exchanger?

mrfixit341 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-181411-.htm
:
I had the same idea not long ago.A man could run some large flexible duct
from the attic and tie it into the air intake.Of course put a shutoff on
it for summer.You would also have to put a temp sensor in the attic and
have a programmable thermostat with emergency heat setting to run the fan
or some kind of relay or 2 thermostats.If the temp in the attis was hot
enough on the heat setting it would kick on the fan and heat the house.Or
have a seperate fan and thermostat to run it separately.I think you get
the idea.Thanks Mark Whitney.Lets make a system and sell it$$$

-------------------------------------
wrote:

My brother did something like this and it worked like a champ.

The house was a ranch with attic access from the garage. He just
placed a box fan in the opening and had the fan blow downwards into the
garage. We're in a 8800 dd climate and he found that it worked best in
the spring / fall.

This was done mainly as an experiment, but it did work and I recall
that quite a lot of heat was available. If one wanted to do it
"right", I would envision a system with a thermostatic
switch/thermostat, ducting to pull the heat from the top of attic, to
floor level (heat rises), possibly a filter and some kind of high temp
cutoff (fire safety). Plus you'd need to think of some kind of return
duct as just blowing heat from the attic would result in some
pressurization of the house, that air needs to go somewhere...

I'd encourage some experimentation first. (cheap fans and some flexy
duct snaking through the house).

Good luck.

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/