Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch[_2_] Tom Veatch[_2_] is offline

Default I need help buying blades for miter saw and table saw.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:00:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

They are both marked as thin kerf type.

From reading online, it shows I should be using this type for an
underpowered saw.
How do I know if I have an underpowered saw.

They are recommended for "underpowered" saws because they cut a
thinner kerf, each cut turning less wood into sawdust and therefore
requiring less power to make the cut. If your saw isn't bogging down
using a regular kerf blade, it isn't underpowered. If it is, a thin
kerf blade "might", just "might" with no guarantees, prevent the
bogging down.

For what it's worth, I use thin kerf blades almost exclusively and my
TS is a 10" 3HP cabinet saw that is far from being underpowered for my
needs. Don't worry about overpowered/underpowered. If the thin kerf
blade does the job for you, go for it.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA