Keith Carlson

Default Quality of a Square?

How accurate should I expect a combination square to be? I got a cheap one
from Enco about a week ago (thinking it might not be great for machinist
work, but good enough for woodworking). Took it out of the box and checked
it with a precision ground square. Holding it up with a light background, I
could see a gap. (Comparing two of the precisions squares showed no hint of
any gap).
Should have measured it with a feeler gauge, but anyway, the cheap one is
going back.

I have an old Stanley that was my dad's, but that's square either.
(Actually, the old Stanley is what got me thinking "if I'm using a square to
check if a workpiece is square, and the square's not square....hmm...I need
a solid reference square - hence the precision ground set).

Now I'm wondering what combo square I should look for, and what kind of
accuracy can I expect? With a reasonable cost, of course, which for me is
$50.

"Swingman" wrote in message
news.com...
The blade of your combination square should be the same dimension from one
end to the other. If it is not, then you need to take it back.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/08/03