Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Newbie Lathe/Mill Question

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:07:02 -0700, the infamous "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
scrawled the following:

I'm looking into purchasing a small combo lathe/mill. I could buy one of
each, but I don't have much room in my shop and, unless there's good
reasons to avoid the combo units, that's the way I'd like to go.

Questions:

1) Where is a good place (on line) to search for reviews of various
brands?

3) Opinions on combo units vs separate lathe and mill.

Go to Google and search this group for "combination machine", combo
mill", or "combo lathe". The question comes up every few months and
there are tons of info already typed in for you to review, Paul.

IIRC, it's about 2:1 against, _especially_ true if you need to make
more than one of the same part.

2) What do people here think of the stuff Grizzly sells? I'm asking
about this distributor because their warehouse/retail outlet is nearby
and I can go in and look at the good in real life before buying.

I have a handful of Grizzly woodworking tools and they're all very
nice. Given my experience with them, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase
a Grizzly mill.

I'm interested in building some small robotics projects, telescope clock
drives and other miscellaneous mechanical/optical devices and other
similar things.

Cool! Let us know what you end up with.

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it
exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong