Wilson Lamb

Default Dryer to Standard 220 Extension Cord

" Wilson -- Your writing shows you know something about electricity. Let
me as a question about dust collection system grounding. I've done
enough internet searching and reading in books & magazines to know this
is a bit of a religious issue. ;-) Suppose for arguements' sake I'm a
member of the Grounders sect.

- A neighbor told me the grounding is "weak" in the houses in our 40
year old subdivision.

Questionable report. Who knows what he means. Someone talked about two
wire wiring, which is pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it except in a
kitchen or bath, where upgrading could be worthwhile. There should be a
good ground rod at the box.

- What good does it do to attach a grounding wire to the body of a
double-insulated but no ground wire router?

None. Did someone suggest it? Most such tools are plastic. Do you have
something else?

- Likewise, attaching to a TS that is grounded but not plugged in
doesn't do any good.

Are you talking about the duct ground for spark suppression? No, the TS
won't isn't a ground if not plugged in. Interestingly, it may have enough
leakage through a concrete floot to suppress static buildup, even if not
plugged in. This is spooky stuff and explosions are rare, but it's easy to
do the grounding and be sure.

- If my DC isn't plugged in all the time it won't be grounded
either.

True, but so what? If it isn't running it can't build up static???

Is there any reason to not separately ground the DC ductwork, such as
by driving a 6' copper rod in the garden outside the shop and running a
wire to it?

No. Any sort of ground will do it. If you have a neutral connected to the
body (3 wire cord), just take the static collecting wire to the frame of the
DC.

I like someone's idea of the subpanel to serve the dryer and shop. You
could mount it at the dryer location and run wires to outlets in the shop.
Check the feed. It's probably 10 ga for a dryer. That's rated at 30 A, but
can do 40 in tool service, although that's not "legal". I think the 30 A
main we discussed, either in the main box or in the sub will do you fine. I
don't remember if your DC is 120 or 240, but if it will run on a house 120V
circuit you would have the 240 V circuit for big tools. Otherwise, you'll
have to do both on 240, which is probably OK.

I looked back and find your question ambiguous. Are you running the saw on
120 from the dryer outlet, or 240? I'm sure the vac is 120. If you don't
have the DC, just put the saw on 240 and you're there. Rigging the panel
and a couple of plugs will be nice for you and make you ready for a big
planer! Don't forget, you can also put in a 120V 30A circuit if you need it
for a tool that won't go on 240.

Good luck and let me know if you need help,
Wilson

-- Mark