Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Shafts and bearings

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
You would find out that a caliper is very handy to have for checking
bearing sizes.

Many (most) ball bearings are all metric, but some applications use a
combination of metric and inch dimensions, with inch used as the I.D.

Generic (or used domestic brand) calipers are available for about $20,
even for generic digital. Most digital calipers switch between metric and
inch for instant conversions, and also can be reset to zero at any point
along the beam.

Dial calipers are generally either metric, or inch, although there are
some that indicate both on a single tool.

Shafts and housing openings are machined to sizes which are appropriate
for the desired type of fit for ball bearings, otherwise bearing sizes are
selected to fit existing parts.

I am not sure that I get your point. Are you saying that the tolerances on
bearings are so loose that one has to get a handful and go through them with
a caliper to find which matches your shaft?

Looking through McMaster-Carr web site there seems to be a wealth of both
metric and imperial shafts as well as bearings. In my simple mind one would
use a 5/8" ID bearing for a 5/8" OD shaft. The tolerances quoted are 0.0003"
(converted from metric) for the bearing ID and 0.003" for the OD shaft
(worst case).

I am puzzled why in the case of this particular piece of equipment there are
15 mm ID bearings supporting a 5/8" shaft (measured in the middle with
calipers). To me it implies a degree of machining to achieve a fit, but why?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC