Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Matching the battery to the task

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

SNIP
Anybody recall the rayovac "renewal" rechargeable alkalines that maybe
came out around 1995?

They were cheap and decent in performance, then they vanished.

SNIP

Yup. I just bought a charger a few weeks ago for 50 cents at a yard sale.
I'm eventually gonna try it out on standard alkalines.

You may know this, but having success at that generally means not letting
the cells drop below 75% of their full charge. If they drop to 50%, you
might get two more charges out of them. Below that, they reportedly won't
recharge much, if at all.

Which isn't bad, for that matter. But experimenters have reported they can
get dozens of recharges out of a standard alkaline if they just keep topping
them off. I tried it around five years ago and I found that it worked pretty
well that way.

--
Ed Huntress