Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Fein scores a hit

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

John Rumm wrote:
Tim S wrote:

So far the best blades for me have been the 100mm circular saw for
plasterboard and chip, and the HSS plunge cut blade for all the
fiddly bits.

I find the pluge cut blades seem to be faster in many cases - even
when doing something like a floor. With practice you can surf along a
board as you cut with the plunge blades.

I agree with the OP that vibration is a problem with the Bosch, but I'm
far too hard to worry about that :-)

You Kentish Men[1] may jest of your hardness - but seriously, don't
underestimate wear and tear on your vitals, especially if they represent
your livelihood. I came across a paper a few weeks back highlighting the
dangers of oscillatory tools like this on the nerves in the hand. Didn't
make nice reading. A bit now and then is probably fine, like most things -
but if you were going for an intense session, especially for days on the
trot, then 10 quid or so for a bit of protection is almost certainly
prudent.

The only downside of the Bosch is the cost/lifespan of the blades. They
don't seem to stay sharp for very long, albeit they are half the price of
the Fein blades. Are the Fein blades any better?

Well, the 100mm circular blade appeared untouched after running a 2m cut
round plasterboard plus some chip.

The HSS plunge blade was doing fine until I decided to see if it could cut
nails. I was trying to slip it down the back of some skirting and chop the
nails in order to remove the skiting with no damage. It really didn't like
them - they were probably semi-hardened nails for masonry.

Cheers

Tim

[1] BTW are you a Kentish Man? I'm a Londoner, but my kids are a Man
(boy??!) of Kent and Maid of Kent respectively and they're proud of it. I
can see, when they're bigger, they'll be going the other side of Tonbridge
to have a pop at those Kentish types ;-