Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default smell in flat: gas or sewage?

hazchem wrote:

I live on the ground floor of a block of flats in London. I came back
to my flat from holiday and immediately noticed an unpleasant smell. I
thought at first it smelled like ripe cheese like camembert but later
I thought it smelled like sewage.

It seemed to be coming from a storage area where the gas meter is. I
removed everything in the storage area and these things do not smell.
The storage area still smells though. I don't really know what gas
smells like do I don't know if I have a gas leak. There doesn't seem
to be any dampness as far as I can see.

What should my next step be? I don't want to have to put up with the
smell forever.

Call the gas company. This is a dangerous condition.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement