Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Work Hardening Stainless

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I have a couple questions about work hardening 300 series stainless.

Does it get hard enough for something with high strain in a very limited
stretch? Something like a fish hook?

The rule of thumb for austenitic stainless steels (300 series) is that they
can be strain hardened to around Rc 50. This is 'way too low for a
conventional carbon-steel fishhook, which runs upwards of Rc 62.

When it reaches full hardness does further working make it start to break
down and get weaker? How much further working?

The answer is yes, but the amount varies with the configuration, strain,
etc. You'll get local failure in tension where the ultimate tensile strength
is exceed. That will have the effect of weakening the whole piece, just like
bending a wire back and forth until it breaks.

Can it be carbon treated for additional surface hardness like on the point
of a fish hook?

'Don't know, but I doubt it. The chromium in the steel prevents it from
converting to ferrite or martensite at room temperature. I don't think that
adding carbon will change that, but I'm not sure. I think you also have to
reduce the chromium content.

No I am not planning to get into the fish hook business. Just thinking
about things.