Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Work Hardening Stainless

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:50:16 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I have a couple questions about work hardening 300 series stainless.

Does it get hard enough for something with high strain in a very limited
stretch? Something like a fish hook?

Loosely speaking, strain *is* stretch -- change in length per unit
length. Type 301 can be cold worked to around 200,000 psi yield, which
is quite strong, comparable to a wrench. I don't have data on 302,
which is commonly used for SS springs, but I assume it would be
similar. Cold working a big lump, like a wrench, to that high a yield
would be much more difficult than drawing wire, if not impossible.

When it reaches full hardness does further working make it start to break
down and get weaker? How much further working?

Ductility decreases with increasing yield, so, yes.

Can it be carbon treated for additional surface hardness like on the point
of a fish hook?

It can be nitrided, but I suspect the temps involved will undo the
cold work.

--
Ned Simmons