Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Sodium light fixture

On Oct 19, 10:20*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,

ransley wrote:
I have an exterior light fixture, possibly low pressure sodium
standard screw base 30w bulb, someone put in 100w standard incandesant
bulbs years ago and it works fine. I wondered what would happen if I
put in a cfl, would I blow the cfl circuitry.

* The voltage across the CFL's base, after voltage drop of the ballast,
may cause the pulse starter for a usual HPS fixture to actuate. *The
pulses are something like 3-3.5 possibly 4 kilovolts.

* Although the CFL's impedance will probably be enough to load those
pulses down to pretty much nothing, I would not count on it. *I would not
want to explain this to my homeowner insurance company if a fire resulted..

*- Don Klipstein )

Yesterday I just bypassed the ballast, I figure why risk ruining new
cfl floods, fire never occured to me but since its an apt Im happy I
didnt try.