Posted to alt.home.repair
T. McQuinn T. McQuinn is offline

Default Plate Compactors

Paul Franklin wrote:
I worded that poorly. I meant spread some extra sand and use sharp
sand (mason's sand, not play sand). Generally you want 1/2 an inch to
an inch of sand on top of the base material. It's a lot easier to get
the block positioned even and level with a little sand on top of the
compacted base.

Good luck,

Paul F.

Getting the block aligned AND level was much harder for me than I ever
imagined. Without the sand I'm not sure what I would have done. But
now I only have a couple of blocks left to place on the base course and
then I need to compact the stone behind it. I am having a hard time
imagining that the blocks won't shift when I do that. Since they have
soil in front, gravel in the voids, and gravel behind them, I may be
wrong about them shifting, but if they do......................... Got
any advice on that?

Tom