Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underfloor Insulation Question

mogga wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 06:01:51 GMT, (Anna Kettle) wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 15:45:45 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Oct 19, 2:31=A0pm, "RW" wrote:
Ok, since checking our "Carbon Footprint" and realising I'm chucking away
sh*tloads of =A3=A3=A3s in lost heat costs because of draughts in our 189=
6
semi-detached solid wall cottage I reckon the only way left to insulate
(Given that it's already DGd and has 200mm of loft insulation) is to stop
the draught under the wooden floors downstairs.

So,
Who's done what and what has it cost with a ball-park pay-back period....

Let the thread commence...................
Dont reckon, get a energy audit, the most important thing for an old
home is a blower door test, the tech will pinpoint air leaks with a
smoke stick and give you a printout of air exchanges per hour that you
have , what it should be and what to fix. Spray foam would seal and
insulate best. I was showed leaks where I never imagined they would be
and fixed them

The candle test works well too and can be done on a 'fix the big
drafts and repeat the test to find smaller drafts' basis

Anna

Candle test?

A small flame is very sensitive to air movements..you use it to find
draughts..heading upstream agsainst the way the flame bends..