Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default OOTT://In case it is important to you.

Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 19, 11:11 pm, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 19, 10:26 pm, t wrote:
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:06:10 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:
People can understand and do amazing things with very little in-depth
study or practise.
Flying 757's comes to mind.
Yeah - but the dude flying the 757, albeit badly, had to have had at
least a modicum of intelligence.
(oh my, i'm sure that i will now be accused of supporting terism
(sic)).
tom watson
I'm also looking for somebody to explain the difference between the
tax system and redistribution of wealth.
I admit I have never read any in-depth Lenin/Marks et al, I barely had
the patience for Cliff's Notes. I find economics as interesting as
watching somebody make blood-pudding.
But it reminds me of the two brothers. The older one an MBA from
Harvard, the younger not educated at all.
The MBA brother lived in a nice house in the burbs and his younger
brother came to visits him. The uneducated brother drives up in an
immaculately restored Bentley. His 20-year old model girlfriend
dripping in diamonds and both dressed to the nines in Mackie and
Armani.
The older bother asked how his brother got to be so filthy rich.
"Well, I don't know much about high finance." he told his MBA brother,
"But I bought this huge warehouse full of millions and millions of
pairs of socks at an auction for 2 cents per pair. Then I sold them
all for 9 cents per pair... and I got to tell ya, it is amazing how
much money you can make on a 7 percent profit margin."
Thank God for accountants.

Thank God not all entrepreneurs are accountants.

Local business types that I know, are either buried in paperwork,
squeezing out a living, or some, like myself, hand off the time-
consuming details to those who know and like that kinda thing. The end
result, at least in my little cosmos, is far better when a business
can concentrate on what it does best. Bookkeeping and all those tax
forms and workman's comp forms, insurance crap and even simple stuff
like paying utility bills is just too time-consuming. Besides, it is
just not safe for me to go near my bank account.

All that said, I'm very sure you [and your acquaintances] know to buy
low and sell high.