Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rick Rick is offline

Default HF shop crane - was Bridgeport dimension

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 02:11:21 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:
Suggest you get some 10 ft sections of SuperStrut from Home Depot, and C-
clamp them across the hoist legs, as outriggers to provide some backup
stability. Just might save your bacon if she decides to tip. Your sturdy,
rigid little hoist will start to feel like it's made of springy fishing
rods once you load it up with 2000 lbs of Bridgeport.

Is there another name for SuperStrut. I looked also for Unistrut at
the home depot web site but couldn't find any listing for it. Any
place besides Home Depot to look for this sort of steel?

Outriggers might have made things do-able if I'd had them last
Thursday when I brought the Bridgie home. The crane was sitting on
level dirt, but it was uneven enough that it tilted slighly to one
side when we were picking up the BP, so in the end I had to get the
neighbor to bring over his Bobcat and lift it off for me.

Lots of little things need to be fixed on this machine, so I'll be
posting a bunch of questions.

Hoping to get the TECO VFD set up on Tuesday.

RWL

Don't waste your time at the Home Depot web site. It's in the electrical aisle at the
stores....