Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Earth bonding and light fixture replacement

David Hansen coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 19 Oct 2008 20:47:24 +0100 (BST) someone who may be Dickon Reed
wrote this:-

This was after I called his bluff on a number of attempts
to get even more work out of me, e.g. "ceiling roses should only have
one cable going into them"

That's the best lie I have heard for a while.

How did I miss that one. Anyway, agreed, the original claim is total and
utter rubbish.

and "someone drilled into your main fuse;
the earth should be nowhere near there so obviously your earth is
shorted to the mains"(!).

Your main fuse, or the company's main fuse?

Would have thought something would have gone bang (quite a big bang).

Most[1] people don't have a main fuse as such, though they might have a main
RCD or a main isolator.

[1] People who stick their consumer units too far from the meter ( 3m in my
case ) might have an extra 63 or 80 or 100A submain fuse though, because
I'm one of them.

Cheers

Tim