Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default DIY can be MORE expensive than pro...

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:49:21 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:36:33 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

KLS wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:29:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 17, 1:23 pm, wrote:
If I didn't the driveway would be rubble by spring with all the
wet and freezing and thawing that goes on around here.

Please explain that statement.

I live in western NY, near Lake Ontario. I know all about wet and
freezing and thawing.

My asphalt driveway is over 20 years old and has never been sealed -
not once. There's not one sign of the "rubble" you speak of.

We just put in a brand new driveway (tore out all the old asphalt,
laid down a new stone bed, then 2 weeks later, laid down 2" of
asphalt), and I'm debating whether to seal it next spring or not. I
get conflicting answers all the time. The paving company says to
seal. Your experience defies this advice.
Sure it was just 2" ? That is awful thin for over fresh gravel. 2" is
about what they put down to stretch the life of existing non-heaved
asphalt, around here. Good that they waited 2 weeks for settling
problems to show up, but I hope they also compacted the gravel more than
just by having you drive on it.

Yes, they went back and forth many times with their massive roller
equipment, and after 2 weeks of driving on the stone, there weren't
visible tracks (thank god), indicating good compaction. Yes, the
standard now is 2" of asphalt for new driveways, sadly, and the price
isn't pretty. It was about $1,500 more than just resurfacing the
previous -1" (and I was ****ed when I realized how thin the top layer
was) that was on top of the main layer of asphalt, so I'm hoping never
to deal with this again.

But should I seal it in the spring? Therein lies my question. Perhaps
I should.

Do they "seal" the interstate?

GOOD POINT!