Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bob Haar Bob Haar is offline

Default Recommendations for newsgroups access or woodworking sites

On 10/19/08 8:31 AMOct 19, "Han" wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Han" wrote in message

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow
one to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew,
here would be my recommendation:

Why? He's asking a question about providers, which really has nothing
to do with binary retention. To start this anew only makes yet
another thread on the same thing that is actively being discussed.

Huh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought the question was because
Comcast is going to stop offering newsgroups, how the OP could stay "in the
loop". Since this was posted in a binary group with likely low retention,
I just made a short recommendation. OP can take it from there.

Check the cross posting. This also went to rec.woodworking, a text-only
group. That is a more appropriate place for this discussion anyway.

In any case, the notion fo retention applies to the news server, not to the
news group. Various providers may have different retention policies for text
versus binary groups, but ti is still a function of the NNTP server
policies.

Neither of these changes the basic point that this has been discussed a
number of times already. If the OP wanted to discuss this in a newsgroup
where it would be clearly on-topic, then he should have used
alt.online-service.comcast .