Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Magnetic scale inhibitors - do they work?

"nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here wrote:

Probably no IME. I had one in the feed to a flow boiler, which needed a new
heat exchanger due to scaling within four years.

As previously posted here, the building services manager at a place
where I used to work installed them on the feeds to a set of industrial
scale autoclaves - without telling anyone. He then stopped buying all
those expensive industrial chemicals used to soften and condition the
feedwater. Within two years he had rendered the autoclaves, or rather
the steam generators feeding them, inoperable.

His arse didn't touch the ground as he left the factory.