Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to deal with a redundant cable?

In article
,
GMM wrote:
A 'theoretical' question, because I had to take it out entirely
anyway, but what's the right thing to do with the end of a redundant
cable when you remove a socket/FCU etc? I know taking the whole thing
out is best but sometimes that's not simple. And if it was part of a
ring,crimping the free ends together would maintain the circuit but
what about an old spur? I've seen it done with insulating tape, and
have winced at the sight (I'd guess that self-amalagamating tape would
be a bit better but still not ideal). There must be a tidy and safe
way to do it, if only a crimp connector with some way of insulating
the 'open' end?
Suggestions welcome, ready for when the occasion arises(!)

If it's a spur, the connections to it should be accessible by regs -
unless it is crimped or soldered which is *most* unlikely. Most will be
fed from another socket. So disconnect it there.

If you really can't I'd treat it as a non accessible connection and use
crimp connectors insulated overall with heat shrink. However if you're
removing the fitting will it be obvious there is cable in the wall etc? If
not it *must* be disconnected or protected from nails etc.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.