Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Ben Bradley Ben Bradley is offline

Default Ideas for Design ;-)

On 2008-10-16, Jim Thompson wrote:

For your engineering laugh for the day... or maybe sadness, depending
on your point of view, see page 65-66 (Ideas for Design) of the
October 9 edition of Electronic "Design" Magazine.

Sheeeeesh!

200V through 10K what a waste,

Does the schematic in your copy actually say that the voltage source
at the top of R2 is 200V? The copy I just got from the link provided
has it as 20.0V.

Oh, and when the 431 is turned on, there would be 199V across 10k
which would dissipate 3.96 watts.

That's one "advantage" of print, everyone gets all the same goofs.
With websites and pdf's, such things can be edited and reloaded in no
time. Perhaps someone at E"D" (hmm, seems I've heard E.D. as meaning
something else...) has been informed of this thread.

Big Brother would LOVE The Internet!

putting 1K to 12V should have been enough,

I guess it's possible he was working with a damaged TL431

...Jim Thompson