Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default DIY can be MORE expensive than pro...

KLS wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:29:59 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 17, 1:23 pm, wrote:
If I didn't the driveway would be rubble by spring with all the
wet and freezing and thawing that goes on around here.

Please explain that statement.

I live in western NY, near Lake Ontario. I know all about wet and
freezing and thawing.

My asphalt driveway is over 20 years old and has never been sealed -
not once. There's not one sign of the "rubble" you speak of.

We just put in a brand new driveway (tore out all the old asphalt,
laid down a new stone bed, then 2 weeks later, laid down 2" of
asphalt), and I'm debating whether to seal it next spring or not. I
get conflicting answers all the time. The paving company says to
seal. Your experience defies this advice.

Sure it was just 2" ? That is awful thin for over fresh gravel. 2" is
about what they put down to stretch the life of existing non-heaved
asphalt, around here. Good that they waited 2 weeks for settling
problems to show up, but I hope they also compacted the gravel more than
just by having you drive on it.

--
aem sends...