Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser John Keiser is offline

Default Toshiba 27A10 TV [Followup]

This 10 y.o. TV has a fine picture and satsifies my needs.
Several months ago a slightly brighter horizontal line would appear
intermittently @ the bottom 5th of the screen. Not very annoying and I knew
my skills would not be sufficient to fix until failure occurred.
Eventually, the picture did collapse to a single bright horizontal line.
I suspected the vertical drive.
With no schematic, I removed the chassis [easy] and looked for a bad solder
joint, bulging cap or other obvious failure. Found none but reflowed a few
joints around what I guessed to be the vertical IC.
TV worked fine. Joy.
Failed again after a few weeks and process repeated 3 X. Frsutration.
I then simply turned the TV off and on and the picture was immediately
restored.
TV remains fine for weeks before next episode.
Since the TV is not cooling down and I am applying no physical pressure, I
think I should rule out a thermal issue or bad solder joint.
I'm thinking more along the lines of a marginal cap.
But I have no ESR [would this even show?] or schematic.
Does that sound like a good guess?
Does anyone know exactly which cap [by schematic # or value] I should
replace [as I'd rather not replace them all]?
Thank you for any comments.

Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.