Posted to alt.radio.digital,sci.electronics.repair,uk.people.consumers,24hoursupport.helpdesk
DAB sounds worse than FM DAB sounds worse than FM is offline

Default new DAB pocket radio story

On 2008-10-17, DAB sounds worse than FM dab.is@dead wrote:
"Whiskers" wrote in message

Ideally, I'd want Vorbis, FLAC, and Dirac, to be accomodated;
that's
an
opinion.

That just displays your incompetence. FLAC is a lossless codec, and
the chance of a lossless codec ever being used on a terrestrial
digital broadcasting system are nil.

I don't see why; it's still a more efficient use of resources than
analogue, and would give the potential for genuinely 'as good as a
CD'
sound - which no lossy codec ever will, not even your beloved AAC.
It
would also remove the temptation to impose low bit rates to get more
stations into the space - which will always tend to result in
listeners
getting a 'just about good enough for the uncritical masses'
listening
experience. FLAC is also royalty-free, unlike AAC.

I see FLAConDAB Boy has disappeared. Or are you just having a break,
FLAConDAB Boy? Probably best if you run along, FLAConDAB Boy, cos I'd
only bring up your idiotic idea to use FLAC on DAB again.

Incidentally, thinking about it, you couldn't use FLAC on DAB anyway.
You see with FLAC being a lossless audio codec, you can't guarantee
that teh bit rate will be below the 1184 kbps maximum capacity of a
DAB multiplex.

I also have to say that it's gloriously ironic that you came up with
the suggestion that you could use FLAC on DAB when you'd previously
claimed that "technology is easy". Technology is easy, but *only once*
you've done the hard work studying the appropriate subjects, and you
blatantly haven't.

And when the BBC chose to adopt DAB in the 1990s, the people making
the decisions were a marketing person, Simon Nelson, and Jenny
Abramsky, who probably can't even programme a video recorder - harsh,
but probably true. They obviously thought technology was easy as well.
And the end result was that they incompetently chose to launch DAB
without first upgrading it.

And the people who make the technical decisions about digital radio at
the BBC at the moment similarly don't understand the technologies.
Their current decision making is mostly simply based on being biased
against the Internet streams and being biased in favour of DAB. If I'm
wrong about that, and they really are trying to provide good quailty,
then they're also simply making incompetent technical decisions
because they don't understand the technical aspects.

It's about time the BBC employed people who understand engineering.
Anthony Rose, who's in charge of the iPlayer TV streams, understands
it. But no-one on the radio side understands engineering at all.

The adoption of DAB was the most incompetent technical
decision ever made in the history of UK broadcasting:
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/da...ion_of_dab.htm