Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Recommendations for newsgroups access or woodworking sites

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

"Bob Abbott" wrote in message
. ..
I have read and posted on rec.woodworking and
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking (and other groups)for about 10
years. These groups have been very helpful for the hobbiest woodworker
to see other peoples work, to post my work, and to ask questions
regarding techniques, etc. Unfortunately Comcast is now ending it's
access to newsgroups in a week or so, so I am looking for help
regarding my options:
1. Are there any recommendations for woodworking web sites that
provide similar postings of technical questions and posting of
project pictures? I looked on line but haven't found anything
equivalent. 2. Any recommendations regarding free or very cheap
access to newsgroups?

Quick replys are appreciated as I will be cut off soon.

There have been several threads on this very topic over the past few
weeks. Rather than start a new thread asking exactly the same question
that has been asked and answered in these threads, why not just look
at what is already in the active threads?

That's good advice, but the retention on binary groups may not allow one
to go back very far at all. So, just to start this all up anew, here
would be my recommendation:

For the groups I'm interested in that were dropped by Verizon, I use
astraweb. Specifically, look at news.astraweb.com and search for the
different subscription plans. The one I am using since June is the pay
$10, get 25 GB of downloads (headers not included) until this runs out.
I still have 24 GB in the "bank".

Using Xnews, I can set up as many servers as I like. That includes
Verizon, Astraweb, Microsoft, Motzarella (free non-binary access).

--
Best regards
Han