Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair gouge on wooden table edge

John wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
stuart noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:
Hi. I've got a wooden table that's about 20 years old and is in
reasonably good condition except for a gouge about 1 cm across on
one edge (top left of image).

http://i36.tinypic.com/ek1clu.jpg

Can anybody recommend a DIY product that'd do a reasonable repair?

Get some woodfiller, it comes in different colours and pine is
available everywhere.
It blends in quite nicely once set and sanded down....you may have
to sand the entire table down and give it all a coat of clear
varnish, my guess is that it would come up like new.

I'd use a Liberon Wax stick. Easy to just rub it across the damaged
area and, unlike some fillers, you know in advance how good a
colour match it'll be

will wax work in a dent?? I can understand a scratch being filled
with it --
Kevin R
Reply address works

Can't you plane the edge down a bit and re-form the radius. Then sand
the whole table and give it some sort of varnishing. It looks like
solid wood and that it would cope.

On that theme you could run a router around the edge to create a new
profile. Not sure of the OP's circumstances though.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk