BigWallop

Default Double Pole switches and FCUs for kitchen applicances

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"BigWallop" wrote:

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"William Joones" wrote in

message
om...

snipped

The normal practice would be to switch off power at the CU, surely.

If you want to run a double gang socket, then you have to take into
consideration that both sockets will be used at the same time, so

you
need
the correct switch gear to control it. Diversity is only considered

in
the
whole installation, where there is an unlikely event that all

appliances
and
every socket will be on and used at the one time.

Sounds like good sense to me, yet I've been told that cable feeding
one double socket only needs to be rated at 20A, not 30, so a single
piece of 2.5T&E clipped direct will do. Is that not so?

Regards, NT

If you have two appliances connecting to a two gang socket, and both are
known to contain heating elements, then would you trust a single piece

of
2.5 mm T&E PVC ?

So do you wire all your spurs in 4mm, just to be safe? If you have this
kind of (expected) loading then you need to think again about the design
of your circuits. On the other hand, IIRC 2.5mmT&E clipped direct is
rated at 27A...

Hwyl!

M.

Only to a radial two gang socket, Yes. That way, at least I know that it is
going to take the same sort of load as the rest of the ring, which is
literally wired with 5mm cable. I don't pull teeth on the extra 1mm strand.
For a single gang radial socket, then I'd use 2.5.