Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Bathroom radiator/ towel rail

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"GB" writes:
Yes I want more heat output, cos the bathroom tends to be a bit
chilly. I am just wondering whether what we want is a radiator with
a towel rail that fits round it. It doesn't have to be fitted to the
radiator - just something that we can sling the towels over so
they'll dry. Any suggestions?

The most effective combination I've used is a regular radiator,
with an unheated towel rack mounted high up on the wall over it,
so the towels don't block the radiator output, but they are heated
by the warm air rising off the radiator. I looked around bathroom
stores for a while and couldn't find a towel rail I liked and which
was practical. In the end, I used an IKEA kitchen rail shelf
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00011428
and only fitted alternate rails to make it easier to drape
towels over.

Towel rails even with no towels on them give off only a tiny
proportion of the heat a similar sized radiator would give off,
and when covered in towels, a radiator or towel rail will give
off no heat of any significance, hence a cold bathroom.

I think that sounds just the thing! I was looking for something suitable,
but the towel rails did not provide enough depth. What I wanted was a rail
that could go at waist height, for convenience, but where the towels would
be in front of the radiator. Of course that will reduce the heat output, but
most of it will still go vertically upwards between the wall and the towels.