Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default DIY can be MORE expensive than pro...

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
Well, last week I looked at the driveway and it really needed sealing.
If I didn't the driveway would be rubble by spring with all the wet
and freezing and thawing that goes on around here.

If that is true, let it go and put in a new driveway with proper base. Mine
is 30 years old and was sealed once, about 25 years ago. I found it is a
PITA to do and there is no damage after all those New England winters.

My neighbors all sealed their driveways this year, and tried to coax me
into doing mine, claiming I could get another couple of years out of it.
I called 2 different paving companies in for an estimate, and both
confirmed what I thought, that the driveway was shot, and the proper
repair was a rip-n-replace. Maybe next spring. My neighbors will just
have to avert their eyes, I guess. (I was gunshy about topcoating
because the driveway slopes so much. I think spinning uphill last winter
is what killed the tranny in my last car.)

--
aem sends...