Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default OT- Why do front brakes wear out faster than rears?

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

There's a couple of flaws with this. First, I don't think I've ever
seen the same calipers on the fronts and rears. Second, my comment
above doesn't imply they should have the same area, it implies the
rears (which already have less area than the fronts) should be smaller
yet.

Nah, The front ones need to be even larger so they don't wear out as fast! ;-)

Seriously, you do NOT want all to wear out at the same time. In these tough economic
times some will have difficulty getting ONE set of brakes repaired at the time. If both
the front and rear wore out at the same time they'd be tempted to, or would actually,
drive around with no brakes at all, except the resistance created by metal scraping metal
which would result in even more expense later -- along with many accidents, some fatal.

....Then YOUR uninsured motorists premium would go up! :-8

Al