Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default OT- Why do front brakes wear out faster than rears?

"ATP*" writes:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message

The corollary I've never been able to figure out is why they don't use
smaller brakes and more pressure in the rear, so they'd all wear out
at the same time (well, as a matter of fact most vehicles I've had
apart have had larger fronts than rears. But not by enough to make up
for the difference in how hard the fronts have to work).

Why would you want them to all wear out at the same time? That wouldn't be
safe or save money.

Well, "roughly" the same time (and you get a lot of notice from when
the wear strip first starts dragging until your brakes are unsafe).
Putting bigger rear brakes on than necessary costs weight and costs
the manufacturer money.