Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.design,alt.guitar.amps
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default Marshall Guitar Amp Transistors overheating - help

"Neil"
The amp (Valvestate VS100R with ECC83 Glass Valve) packed in a few
months ago. Two of the 4 darlington transistors (2xBDV64 & 2xBDV65)
had gone short circuit, also taking out the 1A anti surge fuse. I
replaced them (using heat sink paste as well) and it happened again,
so I replaced them once more and left the amp on (guitar & effects
unit unplugged / overdrive off) to eliminate external possibilities.
After about 15 mins I measured the temperature of the transistor heat
sinks - 3 were 40-50deg C and 1 was cooler. After an hour I went out
of the room for 5 minutes and returned to find it had blown again. The
heat sinks were hot - one of them was 100 deg C. Any ideas what could
be causing this?

** Have a very careful look at R29 ( 0.33 ohms 7 watt ) and make sure the
soldering of the legs is OK.

This resistor is CRITICAL as it conducts speaker current to ground and
supplies a take off point for the POSITIVE feedback loop.

If the soldering is cracked, the amp will oscillate at supersonic
frequency - probably intermittently.

...... Phil