Posted to rec.woodworking
Cardinal Cardinal is offline

Default Newbie Question - wood putty

This is going to sound really dumb but my question is this. I have
been countersinking screws into soft wood - when I go to cover the
screw head up with wood putty I can't seem to get it to go on smooth
and complete. I kind of glob it in the hole and then use a putty knife
to push across it. Doing it like this - the putty starts coming apart
and up from the opposite side of the hole. When I try it the other
way, it then does the same thing on the other side. I wind up wetting
my thumb and going across it like that, but I know there must be a
better way. Can anyone give me a litte advise on this? Thanks very
much.