Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default OT- Why do front brakes wear out faster than rears?

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

The corollary I've never been able to figure out is why they don't use
smaller brakes and more pressure in the rear, so they'd all wear out
at the same time (well, as a matter of fact most vehicles I've had
apart have had larger fronts than rears. But not by enough to make up
for the difference in how hard the fronts have to work).

I've replaced the front pads once on my car with 160,000 miles, still waiting for rears to
give it up. Changed front pads at 121,000.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller