CW

Default Neandering...

"Silvan" wrote in message

that the plane is salvable, but if you go around whacking a metal plane
it won't be for long. Warps the plane.

I'll remember that.

Forget it. Not true. Tapping with a mallet to adjust wouldn't hurt it a bit
and is common practice on planes without adjusters.

I haven't gotten that far yet anyway. I'm trying to flatten the sole. Is
there a better way than using my belt sander? It's still got some
curvature around the perimeter of the casting, and one low spot (or high
spot, depending on how you look at it) that hasn't been hit yet somewhat
off the centerline. There's a fairly broad, flat area all the way around
now, but I'm not down to the point where the entire thing is perfectly
flat. This after running with the thing duct taped to my belt sander for
over an hour.

It seems "flat enough" to me, but I'm not sure if I should go the extra
distance or not.

Be careful with the belt sander. It is very easy to do more harm than good
with one. Take the belt off that thing and cut it so it lays flat. Put that
on that piece of granite of yours and finish it by hand. For it to perform
well, it needs to be flat all over, not just in spots.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17672 Approximate word count: 530160