Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Septic Tank Cover Question ?

"Robert11" wrote:
-snip-
Backyard is quite nice, and level.

Question: we have (just) noticed that the septic pit that one pumps out
occasionally, the outflow of which goes to the D box and leaching field
distribution pipes, has a concrete cover that is about 1 or 2 inches above
the soil line, and shows as it's uncovered.

-snip-
a. Is it a requirement to be below the soil ?

Local codes might require it.

b. What might have happened ? Could it be that they just didn't dig deep
enough to have the cover end up below the soil line ? Or,...?

Someone re-graded to make the yard 'nice and level'? They got tired
of digging it up every year to be pumped or unclogged? . . .

c. If, for safety reasons, we want to have it below the soil, and covered,
what's the best approach ?

What safety? The most likely cause of problems would be someone
driving a vehicle over it. Seeing that cover ought to serve as a
warning.

Would hate to have to have a contractor go back there with a crane to lift
it out, dig deeper, and reinstall.

What's the best approach to all of this ?
(just put a big flower pot over it ? !!)

I'd go with the flower pot myself. It locates the thing and makes
maintenance easy. The only downside [other than esthetics] to not
having a soil cap *might* be in extreme climates where freezing could
become an issue. I'm in upstate NY. My septic is within the shade
thrown by my house on the north side. There is no soil covering the
cap- and very little covering the rest of my concrete tank. We have
had a few snowless, cold winters and I've never had a freezing
problem. There seems to be enough heat thrown off by decomp, and
warm water being added to keep things from freezing.

Jim