Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Question on voltage of electrolytic cap

"Dave" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
netamerica:

Would it hurt anything to replace an alectrolytic cap (high temp, if
that matters) with one of the same value (220uF) but a higher
voltage rating? Seems like it wouldn't, but I thought I'd ask...

Thanks,

nothing,if the physical size of the new cap fits in the space of the
old cap.
Mind your ESR requirements.
Switcher power supplies need low-ESR caps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thank you, Jim. Any ideas on how I can determine what the ESR of a
cap is? Seriously, I know this matters, but have no idea as to how to
apply the question. Maybe Google... Just a thought.

'preciate it.

dave

Dick Smith Electronics used to sell an inexpensive ESR meter kit(I have
one,love it),Anatek may still carry them. around $50 USD.

you could probably look up the manufacturer's specs on their website.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik