Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Shafts and bearings

You can disregard part or all of the earlier post, now that I discovered
that the center section of the shaft is 5/8", and the beraing IDs would be
1/2".

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
I came to examine another piece of garage sale acquisition:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7608104743029/

The two pillow blocks are all part of a single casting which encloses two
ball bearings. There is a 5/8" shaft which on either side is reduced to
1/2" and threaded 20 tpi, one side left and the other right handed. There
is a pulley in the middle like in the picture and an old v-belt around it
so someone had to have the shaft off in the past to put these on.

I can find no screws of any kind and cannot but conclude that the bearings
are press-fit into the housing. Interestingly, the shaft has a 1/16" or so
axial play within the race of the bearings but none when turning (there is
no slipping in the races).

The whole thing looked useful when I saw it and for $5 it seemed a steal.
Unfortunately, the right-hand end of the shaft has a minor bend in it.
Also the v-belt will need replacing so I cannot see my way past having to
disassemble the whole thing.

I have never taken ball bearings apart. I hit the Google and books
yesterday and am comfortable with the principles but, as with anything,
God is in the details:

1) Given the one piece construction, I shall have to hammer the shaft out
of both bearings simultaneously. Is there a way to make sure that the
shaft comes out rather than bearings with the shaft still attached? I can
block up one of the inner races but not both at the same time.

2) OTOH getting the shaft and bearings out as one unit may be a better
way. How does one make sure that this is what happens?

3) Any other helpful thoughts?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC