Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.design,alt.guitar.amps

Default Marshall Guitar Amp Transistors overheating - help

Kevin Aylward wrote:
Jon Slaughter wrote:
"Dave Curtis" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:05:06 -0500, "Jon Slaughter"
wrote:

In any case I replaced the component and it worked fine. I believe
it blew because I had no load hooked up(it was in a dorm and I
didn't have the cab and was running the line out to my comp).
Solid state amp: Ok with no load. Tube amp: not ok.

Thats not completely true.

Of course it is. The only way a transistor amp can blow up with no load, is
if it is designed incorrectly. Like, it oscillates off load, or the power
supply has such bad regulation that it raises its voltage etc....

Well that is what I SAID, and in the context of MARSHALL, its quite
possible.

Ive seen power amps blow from having transistors unable to handle the
rail to rail voltage they saw off load before.

First job in one company was to work that out and select transistors
that COULD.

Kevin Aylward

www.kevinaylward.co.uk