Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.design,alt.guitar.amps
JJTj JJTj is offline

Default Marshall Guitar Amp Transistors overheating - help

Marshall Majors used 4 x KT88s.

None of the marshalls I ever saw used KT88's

Almost all UK Majors had KT88's. The first few
Major's (via Rose Morris n UniCord) had 88's,
then they switched to 6550's. This allowed the
amps to loft along, due to the less demanding
needs of 6550's. A Major with 6550's sounds very
little like one with KT88's. Of course, bias needs
to be tweeked. Alot of folks who dislike Major's
only heard them with 6550's. And today's KT88's
are not the same. Thank God I have a good supply
of real GEC's. Put aside for old age, ya know.

Besides, a Major on a slant 4-12 cab looks awesome.

Head is as deep as the cab top (11" I believe)

Last killer Major 1/2 stack I saw, because he paid me
danger $ for the KT88's ($200 each in 98) had a cab
full of old white cap'ed SRO speakers. He had to put
bricks behind the wheels, because the amp would roll
backwards when played. He liked the cab being off the
ground, but hated to chase it every other song.

Newest GP shows 'KRANK' amps using surface mount resistors
in the POWER AMP stage ?????????? Flocking ****** design.

Major's had chassis mounted round power resistors.

Transformers that weigh more then today's amps, cab n all.

Guess the times, they are a changing...

JJTj

FS: Old press/Fan Club kit for The GrandMothers,
(Mothers of Invention original members) by
'Panda Records' SIGNED by Band in 2000 !

#522 of about 700 made

About as RARE as it gets, boyz n girlz..

http://www.usaelectron.com/GM

She's 200 years old
So mean she couldn't grow no lips
She's 200 years old
So mean she couldn't grow no lips
(Boy, she'd be in trouble if she tried to grow a mustache . .)

She's 200 years old
Squatting down
And poppin' up
In front of the juke box
Like she had true religion

Boy

She's 200 years old
Squattin' down
Poppin' up
Front o' the juke box
Just like she'd had true religion, now,

Boy

Boy, boing,, it's 200 years
Half of this, none of that
Was 50 . . .
Oh squat, yeah, oh, now, yeah!

She got religion now, boy

Oh, she's 200 years old
Oh, she told me
She just, she just can't grow no lips

Squat

Down

So mean she
Can't grow no lips

200 years old
Whaddya mean she can't grow no lips . . .

Squattin' down
Poppin' up 'n down at the juke box

OWW!

She got the true religion, boy