Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Septic Tank Cover Question ?

Hello,

Son and wife have bought a 30 year old house.

Backyard is quite nice, and level.

Question: we have (just) noticed that the septic pit that one pumps out
occasionally, the outflow of which goes to the D box and leaching field
distribution pipes, has a concrete cover that is about 1 or 2 inches above
the soil line, and shows as it's uncovered.

Quite surprised, as ours, and I always thought all of them, had the cover
below the soil line.

a. Is it a requirement to be below the soil ?

b. What might have happened ? Could it be that they just didn't dig deep
enough to have the cover end up below the soil line ? Or,...?

c. If, for safety reasons, we want to have it below the soil, and covered,
what's the best approach ?
Would hate to have to have a contractor go back there with a crane to lift
it out, dig deeper, and reinstall.

What's the best approach to all of this ?
(just put a big flower pot over it ? !!)

Thanks,
Bob