Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default japlac

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

From what I remember, Japlac is some sort of wierd enamal paint. It is
*very* hig gloss _ I used some years back for painting some wooden toys.

Dunno about the yellowing though. Only paint I've found in our conservatory
that hasn't yellowed is the dulux waterbased gloss - horrible to work with
though (but much better for my ashtma )

Darren

Thats correct. It's a LACQUER. I.e. a paint that goes on really thick
and is semi-translucent. Sort of like a car body finish.

Largely these days we don't use this..you would be more likely to use a
two pack setting paint, than a drying lacquer in industrial uses..but
its probably still a very decent way to finish stuff.

Whether it yellows or not depends on the nature of the pigment (which
probably won't yellow) and the substrate its held in. Plus exposure to
UV and fag smoke ;-)